Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Work Visas

There are many types of temporary employment visas.  The type of visa you need is determined by the purpose of your travel and the type of work you will be doing in the U.S.  Please click here to learn more about what type of visa you need. 

There are usually several steps that need to be taken before applying at the U.S. Embassy for a temporary employment visa.  For example, some temporary employment categories require an applicant's prospective employer to obtain a labor certification or other approval from the Department of Labor.  Once that is received, the prospective employer must then file a Petition for Non-Immigrant Worker (I-129 form) with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service.  Once the I-129 form is approved, the employer will be sent a Notice of Action (I-797 form) to serve as proof that the petition has been granted.  At this point, the worker may schedule a visa appointment and come in for an interview.  Please review the proceedures carefully for your type of temporary employment visa and make sure that you have taken all necessary steps before scheduling your visa interview. 

Visa Application

In addition to following the basic application procedures, a temporary employment visa applicant must also bring these materials to their interview:

  • An original I-129 petition and/or original Notice of Action I-797 notice,
  • Extensions approved by the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration (BCIS), if any;
  • Complete and updated curriculum vitae and list of publications;
  • Transcripts from post-high school education;
  • Any other documents that may be deemed pertinent to the application.

Note: Please be aware that additional fees may be required depending on what type of visa application you submitted.