The Government of Qatar requires foreign citizens to provide a police clearance from their home country before issuing a residence permit. You can obtain a U.S. police clearance from the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) or through your city or county law enforcement agency. In both cases, the clearance will be run against the National Crime Information Center, which contains all federal, state and local criminal information.
Important Note: The U.S. Embassy in Doha does not provide fingerprinting services and strongly recommends that you obtain a U.S. police clearance before you come to Qatar.
FBI Police Clearance
Obtaining a FBI clearance is a two step process. The first step is to:
- Make an appointment for a notary service.
- At the time of your appointment, request a police clearance package and pay our USD 50 notary fee.
- Fill out the proper paperwork and have your fingerprints taken at the Qatari Criminal Investigations Division (CID) office located in the Al Waab area.
- Send your fingerprints to the FBI and ask them to run a criminal background check. Once mailed, FBI processing usually requires 8 to 10 weeks to complete.
After you recieve your clearance back from the FBI, you can begin the second step in the procedure. You should:
- Make an appointment for another notary service.
- Bring your FBI clearance to your appointment and fill out an affidavit.
- Execute the affidavit before a consular official and have it attached to your police clearance.
- Pay our USD 50 notary fee for the affidavit and then submit the clearance to the Qatari government for processing.
For more information on the FBI police clearance process, please click here.
Local Law Enforcement Agency Police Clearance
The local law enforcement agency from your state of residence or domicile will perform a police clearance check upon your request. You should contact your local law enforcement agency for their requirements and fees. After the clearance process is completed, you must also authenticate the police clearance certificate from your local or state law enforcement agency. Please visit our authentications webpage for this process. Once a local clearance is obtained, you should expect 2 to 4 weeks or longer to complete the authentication process using an express mail service.